Thread: Atomic LS start up issue - Cam Sensor!

Default Atomic LS start up issue - Cam Sensor!

Hey Guys

I hope someone has experienced this problem we are having and may be able to help

We have a brand new 6 ltr block, but one of the very early ones which ran the 24x Crank Reluctor & 1x Cam Trigger which is located in the timing cover at the front of the block which indicates being a Gen IV block.

As per the Gen IV LS2 timing cover… the cam sensor is located in the front cover and have used the ‘Front CAM’ harness.

When attempting to start the engine, everything in the diagnostics is OK except for the cam sensor. The cam sensor fault changes between ‘C’ & ‘H’ randomly and the 5 volt signal wire spikes to 7 & 8 volts when starting the engine.

All power & grounds from the ECU go direct to the battery, fuel pressure is OK and returning back to the tank, we are getting spark from the plugs when cranking the engine.

We even tried extending the ‘BAK CAM’ harness which ran 12v to the sensor as well as 'Signal' & '+' reversed, but still coming up with fault ‘C’.

I have tried starting it with 'LS1', 'LS2', 'L76' in the hand held and still makes no difference.

Are we perhaps missing a harness that plugs into the front 4x sensor, but it picks up the signal of a 1x Cam Trigger?

We are in Australia and any help/advice would be awesome, sent a couple emails to MSD but still waiting to hear back.

Thanks in advance

Dingo
    Last edited by Dingo; 10-03-2018 at 03:01 PM. Reason: mistake

The C and H is current and history faults. If you have a pre 2005 LS with front cam sensor it should be a 1x sensor. Have you check using a new sensor Incase that one should be bad? Is the whole engine stock? Stock cam that cam from that engine?

Hi

We have tried 2 sensors with no luck (one was brand new)

The engine is new and completely stock.

Am I wrong in assuming that the power module is searching for a signal from a '4x trigger' as the harness runs to the front timing cover??

Cheers

Well looking it up it should be looking for a 1x sensor with the 24 tooth pre 2005 engine. My kit came with both sensor harness adapters. My engine is a rear cam sensor 02 5.3. Does the engine have a rear sensor also? Or only the front one? The rear would be next to to oil pressure sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by frostchevelle1 View Post
    Well looking it up it should be looking for a 1x sensor with the 24 tooth pre 2005 engine. My kit came with both sensor harness adapters. My engine is a rear cam sensor 02 5.3. Does the engine have a rear sensor also? Or only the front one? The rear would be next to to oil pressure sensor.
    Yes thats right, my base kit (P/N 2950) also has 2 cam sensor harness's one for the 'BAK CAM'(x1) and 'CAM'(x4) for the front.
    Our engine only has a sensor located in the timing cover (front)
    Cheers

Still should be the 1x cam sensor until after 2005. But it’s odd it faults. Mine hit and took it right away. My base kit was also the 2950. So far working pretty good after some cam setting issues.