Thread: Msd ignition

Default Msd ignition

Ok, so I have a 75 Dodge b300 motor home that I had a 440 rebuilt for. I put a msd pro billit distributor and had a msd 6al left from a old truck I had. Well I cut the plug on the distributor for the mag pick up and thought I had it right when extending the wires. 440 started right up and ran good. Drove around a bit and all seemed good. Only ran about 15 miles. Well I went to leave for a 2.5 hour drive to the camp ground and it acted like it had a miss. Everything checked out that I can see except something with the msd box canceling out different cylinders each revolution. Replaced the 6al with a street fire I bought at pep boys. Drove for a while but same thing happened. Thought it may have been getting to hot so I put the box inside under the dash. But noticed on your wiring diagram that the purple and black is supposed to go to the green wire and orange and black to the purple wire. If I do that it won't even start. When wires are switched purple to purple black and green to green and black it runs great st first but after awhile of driving it has the miss again even with the new street fire box. I'm at a loss and pretty pissed off about now. Any ideas

hello sir,

you had those wires backwards so hooking it up correctly your going to have to readjust your timing. it could be off. so just readjust your distributor and that should work.
    shake-n-bake

Quote Originally Posted by msdtech50 View Post
    hello sir,

you had those wires backwards so hooking it up correctly your going to have to readjust your timing. it could be off. so just readjust your distributor and that should work.
    Yes, that's correct, follow the instructions, purple/black DOES NOT go to purple.

The timing will be out and needs to be set again, like you would have done in the first startup.

Hopefully your cap and rotor are not burnt out.
    Regards

Gary

if it is just give us a call and we can get you set up with a order for a new rotor
    shake-n-bake