Thread: Should I swap distributors from HEI to Pro Billet?

Default Should I swap distributors from HEI to Pro Billet?

I have a 1986 K30 Fullsize GM pickup with a 480hp 502 CID crate motor, it's my daily driver and i pull a loaded gooseneck trailer quite often. I bought the MSD Atomic 2910 to replace a carb, my distributor is an HEI that has served me well for years. I do have clearance problems with the distributor and would like a smaller dia unit, I started reading through the forms here to ensure compatability and found many threads about ignition module failure with the Pro Billet distributors, being stranded in the mountains where I live is not an option, so I'm trying to get a professional opinion on the HEI/Atomic compatability and if I should stick with what works.

I went with the Pro Billet, but I also went with a timing box so I could do timing controller per the MSD instructions - so I'm not using their setup. Timing control is a big improvement for drivability. Do you run A/C in the truck? Timing control will help control load w/ that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by elucidus View Post
    I went with the Pro Billet, but I also went with a timing box so I could do timing controller per the MSD instructions - so I'm not using their setup. Timing control is a big improvement for drivability. Do you run A/C in the truck? Timing control will help control load w/ that as well.
    I have a MSD 6A and MSD tech adapter, it's been the ignition controller for 6 years or more, I do run ac in the summer...but dont tell anyone they think everybody in AK lives in igloos! How long have u been running the distributor? No problems? Theres sp many threads on the other page about failed modules?

Quote Originally Posted by akfishinguide View Post
    I have a MSD 6A and MSD tech adapter, it's been the ignition controller for 6 years or more, I do run ac in the summer...but dont tell anyone they think everybody in AK lives in igloos! How long have u been running the distributor? No problems? Theres sp many threads on the other page about failed modules?
    Maybe 1.5-2 years, but not a lot of miles. The ignition module isn't used in my setup - you'd use your 6A to control spark discharge.