Thread: Spark Plug Selection

Default Spark Plug Selection

I am currently using an MSD Atomic EFI, Digital 6A ignition box and a MSD distributor controlled by the atomic. These are on a GM crate 502 in a 1985 GMC 1 ton pickup. The spec sheet for the crate engine recommends an AC MR43T spark plug which is a marine plug so I'm assuming this engine was originally spec'd for marine use. With all the upgraded fuel and ignition and obviously not being in a boat would you recommend still using the factory recommended plugs or should I be making some adjustments?

The main thing that matters to us is that the spark plug is a copper core, resistor style spark plug that you can change the gap on. Which that plug looks like it is so you should be fine with that one even though it isn't in a marine application.

Is it typical to increase the gap with a system like mine? I’m familiar with reading plugs and using different heat ranges but how do you know if the gap needs to be adjusted?

Increasing or decreasing the gap depends on the motor and how it reacts, in more higher compression motors you more often have to decrease the gap size, since with the higher compression it can blow out the spark easier if you have larger gap, but if the compression is close to stock then increasing the gap will make the plugs fire hotter so it will burn the fuel better for you. I hope this helps you out.

The heat range and the plug gap are determined by the compression ratio, and the chamber shape.
    Since those are both stock in your case, run the recommended plug for street use.
    If you do drive it hard some, then drop the gap by 5-10 thou, if hard often, run one range colder.
    The fueling delivery, even by a well set up carburetor, doesn't alter what the spark plug tips see.
    Gary
    Regards

Gary