Thread: Runs better with high IAC

Default Runs better with high IAC

I have a stock 350 crate motor in a k5 blazer. Stock 700r4 with stock stall and shift kit(recently rebuilt).

It always had a hard time starting. I ended up resetting everything and starting over from the previous owner.

It starts and runs better overall with the throttle blades closed more. IAC is 0 in park, around 20-40 in gear with AC off, and higher with AC around 50-60.

I went through the manual and started at half a turn. Etc etc.

Idle target 825

Return line fuel pump setup (msd kit)
    Solid 44 psi all the time

A/F are solid when blades closed and a little jumpy when setting for lower IAC #

AF 14.3 idle
    14.7 cruise
    12.8 WOT
    Timing - 13.5/36 1050 start / 2400 all in + 10 degrees un-ported (every time i try ported it runs awful)

Squirt 25
    Powervalve 35

1. Is the IAC being high a big deal really if it runs better all around? Everytime I try to get the IAC # down it just starts harder and idles slightly rough. Will even stall sometimes with when I start the AC.

2. I also get a stumble when in 4th gear around 45 mph but I think that's just because it's so bogged down (1000-1100 rpm). This might just be TV cable adjustment to get it kick down faster.

3. Should I just set the throttle blades to get the IAC down and just give it time to self learn or run it where it likes currently with the blades closed more?

Thanks in advance for any help here.
    Last edited by Dtindall8705; 08-01-2018 at 06:53 AM.

Default Ohhhh yea....

Turns out the distributor was not locked out so the mechanical and computer were fighting each other and causing all kinds of timing issues.

Back to just mechanical advance with timing control disabled for now and it runs 1000% better.

ADMIN you can go ahead and delete this thread if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtindall8705 View Post
    I have a stock 350 crate motor in a k5 blazer. Stock 700r4 with stock stall and shift kit(recently rebuilt).

It always had a hard time starting. I ended up resetting everything and starting over from the previous owner.

It starts and runs better overall with the throttle blades closed more. IAC is 0 in park, around 20-40 in gear with AC off, and higher with AC around 50-60.

I went through the manual and started at half a turn. Etc etc.

Idle target 825

Return line fuel pump setup (msd kit)
    Solid 44 psi all the time

A/F are solid when blades closed and a little jumpy when setting for lower IAC #

AF 14.3 idle
    14.7 cruise
    12.8 WOT
    Timing - 13.5/36 1050 start / 2400 all in + 10 degrees un-ported (every time i try ported it runs awful)

Squirt 25
    Powervalve 35

1. Is the IAC being high a big deal really if it runs better all around? Everytime I try to get the IAC # down it just starts harder and idles slightly rough. Will even stall sometimes with when I start the AC.

2. I also get a stumble when in 4th gear around 45 mph but I think that's just because it's so bogged down (1000-1100 rpm). This might just be TV cable adjustment to get it kick down faster.

3. Should I just set the throttle blades to get the IAC down and just give it time to self learn or run it where it likes currently with the blades closed more?

Thanks in advance for any help here.