Thread: Old 8460 Distributor gear size

Default Old 8460 Distributor gear size

I called tech support to ask what size inner diameter the 8460 takes. The guy told me it has to be .5". He said they never made a distributor that didn't have a .5" shaft. So I bought a .5" gear and it wobbles around on the shaft. It fits snug on a different distributor. So much for tech support. Anyone know what diameter shaft a 8460 really has?

How loose is it?

It is probably a .491 shaft

A 8460 is discontinued, but possibly one from here might help:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/sea...illocation=int
    Regards

Gary

How loose? I don't know, but it's way too loose. All the way on the shaft it wobbles around. What sucks is that I measured and bought a .491 gear and it only went on a little bit (maybe 1/16") and was very tight. It would have taken a press to put it on. I suppose the one I got was undersized a bit. But I thought I measured wrong with my cheap Harbor Freight caliper so I returned it. If I had a hone that small I was going to hone it out but MSD said a .5" so I tried that (and lost). Now I'll have to return the .5 gear and buy a different brand .491" gear. Or I could keep it and hope I don't loose it for the day I put in a new cam, which may never happen?

Looks like another .491 gear is worth a try.
    I don't see any option, by your description.
    Gary
    Regards

Gary

Yes thanks. Luckily where I bought the gears has great customer service and aren't making me pay all the extra shipping to and from and sending another.491 gear. Just thought I'd check to see if msd had some weird size shaft back 30 years or so when that distributor was made. That old distributor only has about 1000 miles on it, I wanted it just for a backup and need a melonized gear. I guess it has to be standard size since back then msd used almost all off the shelf parts for their distributors (what a different msd tech told me anyway) .

Yes, you are more than likely correct.
    Gary
    Regards

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
    Yes, you are more than likely correct.
    Gary
    Yesterday a got another "AC Delco" .491 gear. Just as tight as the first one so I rolled up some sandpaper, put the end in a drill, and honed it out until it fit on yet is very snug. I didn't measure again but probably only took out .001 or .002. I have some shims, do you know what the end play should be?
    Thanks