Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: msd digital 6 retarding timing as rpm increase

no not yet thought i would see if i could find answer here on forum. air gap is at .050
    thanks.

I would tighten the air gap to around .030 and check it at all four magnets.
    Regards

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by labounty8 View Post
    timing is locked at 36 drops back 3 to 4 degrees by 5000 rpm i shift at 7200. i have msd digital 6 plus and msd blaster 2 coil. tried swaping green and violet wire from pickup and lost 10 degrees so it is also hooked up correctly.
    Isn't the correct polarity for the green and violet wires the one that gives the most retarded spark? If you lost 10 deg when you swapped the wires it sounds like you found the right polarity. Leave it that way, reset the timing, then rev it up and see if it still retards.

The gap is .050" - .080", so there is no need to shove it closer. The pickup works fine. I always want to rule out spark interference on magnetic pickups first. It makes sense that there is more interference at higher rpm's. How long are your pickup leads from crank to the digital6? Check the routing of the green/violet wires. I would even consider running a shielded twisted pair. That pickup signal is normally very weak.