Thread: Digital 6 Plus, Pro Billet, Blaster 3, no spark to coil or plugs

Default Digital 6 Plus, Pro Billet, Blaster 3, no spark to coil or plugs

Hi, MSD Digital 6 Plus (#6520) is not sending spark to coil (Blaster 3) when cranking motor, Distributor is Pontiac Pro Billet (#8563), engine cranks great just not starting. Using magnetic pick up (which was replaced to verify), jumping black/orange to black/violet creates spark when distributor end of coil near ground. Same exact components working fine a few months ago, removed motor to replace lifters and push rods. Replaced rotor and magnetic pickup, not distributor cap yet, along the way. All grounds cleaned and checked for resistance. Also used a feeler gauge to put magnetic pickup within specs, also, verified top of rotor tab height within specs. The Digital 6 12V heavy red wire direct to battery positive, heavy black direct to battery negative, the thin red wire going to 12v switched in fuse box, voltage drop when cranking goes for 12.4v before to 9.6v cranking. Digital 6 LED comes on steady and then blinks when cranking the engine. The resistance across brand new coil + and - is in specs, also from coil + to coil top is in specs. Had an issue earlier when first trying to start car a few days ago, the LED would come with ignition ON on but after cranking engine for even one second, the LED would go off and I would need to entirely disconnect the Digital 6 thin red ignition wire and reconnect before red LED back on, this has since not occurred again.
    We do not know what to do next and need your assistance.
    Would the Digital 6 not send voltage to coil even though jumper test works fine?
    The distributor is spinning, the reluctor looks fine.
    Is there any way to "false" trigger the magnetic pick up to send a more "real" signal to Digital 6?
    I ask this because I am not sure the jumper test on magnetic pick wires simulates reality to fully omit the Digital 6 as malfunctioning.
    I do not have another ignition to test.

Thank you and looking forward to your reply, have not driven car this year and last 5 days spent on ignition.

Shane (Cape Cod)

Hi MSD, hoping someone can take a look at this. A new note, the red LED on Digital 6 is ON when the car key is turned on and it is supplying the 12 volts switched, however, when I crank the key (engine) the red LED goes out and stays OFF while cranking the engine, after stopping cranking engine the red LED comes back on. Per instructions, does this mean is it not getting a signal while cranking engine? When I jump the magnetic pickup wires from Digital 6 while coil at distributor is near ground I get spark at end of coil wire. Please help. Thank you, Shane

The paperclip test proves your module and coil and all the wiring is fine.

I would pull the distributor, and spin it by hand with the key on.

If spark occurs, the distributor is fine, then you need to look at low volts while cranking.

Gary
    Regards

Gary