Thread: 8528 Ready to run serious problems

Default 8528 Ready to run serious problems

Hi! Bought a ready to run distributor and a ss blaster coil a week ago from a retailer here in Sweden. My first experience with MSD and it didnít get a good start. The car run fine with the old but wanted to have the rev limit function. Turned it by hand to nr 1 firing position and 0 on the timing mark before replacing the distributor. Have done it before with other distributors without problems. Now I cant get it to run. At exact lineup with rotor and cap at nr 1 position it ignites but does not run. Retarding or advancing the timing slightly makes it misfire badly into the exhaust or intake. Have double checked all spark plug wire positions. Have tried direct connection from battery to coil to rule out resistance cable from ignition. Measurements show 12,5 volts with ignition turned on, 10,5 volts cranking and 13,2-13,5 volts with old HEI and engine running. Ground connected directly to block and even tried dubblegrounding directly to battery too. Have tested the coil with a sparkplug in and it makes an even spark. Mabey a little weak but hard to tell in daylight. Resistance primary .6 ohms and secondary 4.4 kohms

Pulled the plugs and they were all black and moist. Probably from all missfiring. Before swapping distributor they were all clean. Cleaned them, checked gap and tried again. Still wont idle. Sound like its barely fires on a couple cylinders. Checked everything again and all is good connection vise.

Pulled the distributor. All terminals in the cap shows sign of spark so that seems to work. Measured resistance in all sparkplug wires. It was pretty much even with about 1400 ohms per meter in all wires ( aproximately 450 ohms per foot). Its MSD black street fire 8mm wires. Remounted the old HEI and it fired right up. Going to try the MSD again and this time I have run heavy gauge wires direct from battery in case there is some issues with stock wire. The + runs via a relay. Tested it with HEI and it seems to run a little smoother. Tomorrow I will try the MSD again. New sparkplugs ordered too in case they took damage from the gasoline bath. If this dosenít work Im all out of ideas.

By the way its a Firebird -71 with a bored .45, stroked 400 -69. 463 cid, crower 60919 cam, kaufmann 85cc d-ports, edelbrock intake and edelbrock 750cfm carburator. The intake is a little wrong since its only the performer intake but I have som clearance issues with the hood to be able to run a rpm intake. Ignition with old dizzy, 10 initial, 32 total and 12 vacuum. All in by aprox 4500 rpm. Going to try a little faster curve this time since its a little hesitation when stepping on it.

Best regards
    Last edited by Tydinger; 07-09-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Fired right up on second try. Only thing I changed is the heavy gauge wires directly from battery. Strange since I had the correct voltage in the stock wires. Had a problem with variating timing on old dizzy. Its gone now. Also seems to respond better on throttle. Not testdriven yet. Only thing I dont like is the vakuum advance. It gives 16 degrees instead of the 10 described in the manual. Afraid I will get pinging. If im to replace it with an adjustable I would like a description for how to do it. Also the tach has been displaying too low readings. Otherwise it works as it should. It dosent seem to show over 2500-3000 rpm.

Hi what did you do with your wires going to the battery

Hi! I connected the + from ignition and ground to a 4 pin headlight relay. This means the relay activates when ignition turns on. I then connected a + from battery via the relay to the + on coil. I used 6mm wire to be sure it was low resistance so the coil gets full power. I then connected a similar wire from battery - to ground wire in distributor. Also when installing the distributor I turned the engine to nr 6 firing position because its much easier to se where the rotor points rather than the nr 1 pointing towards the firewall. I also lined up the paddle pointing exactly to the magnet pickup with the rotor pointing at the terminal I wanted as nr 6 ignition wire. Then it fired right up. The distributor is extremely sensitive when turning it. the smallest movement have a huge impact on timing. My old dizzy I could turn twize as much before anything happend with the initial timing.

Best regards, Martin
    Last edited by Tydinger; 07-11-2018 at 06:42 AM.