Thread: Strange install problem

Default Strange install problem

Hi guys,
    Last week a friend brought his car to me to install/map a 6530 6AL-2 programmable (its a former Peugeot factory V6 racecar). I mapped as I saw fit and it worked great first try (naturally aspirated). With the wires all thrown around the engine bay, he test-drove around for a while shifting at ~8000rpm. All was well and he was happy as hell, so off he went to the auto electrician to permanently install the thing. After the 'proper' install, he called me and said he couldn't go past ~5800rpm. He brought the car to me and sure enough that was the case. So I figured I'd unplug the same unit I happen to have in my car (Alfa Romeo), transfer his map to it and plug it into his harness. Lo and behold, it also crapped out before 6000rpm (rev-limits are of course set at 8000rpm for both units). This tells me there's nothing wrong with his unit but there must be something wrong with the wiring installation. I suspect the reason being all wires are bundled together and there's some interference between the low-level signal inductive (pickup wires (purple-green) and especially the orange-black coil wires. Supply voltage is good, ground is solid so I thought it must be wiring interference thing. What is your take on this? All other (unnecessary for this application) wires have been cut off. Just the basic stuff is there, power, inductive signal and coil wires. Thanks in advance for any answers!

Jim K.

Yes, don't run signal and output wires together.
    Run the purple/green as a separate shielded twisted pair.
    Gary
    Last edited by Gaz64; 07-10-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    Regards

Gary

Thank you very much Gary, that's what I had suspected!
    Jim K.

What was the solution?