Thread: Dual vs. single plane intakes

Default Dual vs. single plane intakes

On another forum I was reading about a couple guys that have various other brand EFI systems and the general consensus is they all were very satisfied with the systems overall but all were having issues getting that final bit of just perfect running sorted out. Every one of them that's had a dual plane intake and added an open spacer between the throttle body and the intake has said they cleared their settings and reset their systems and it was instantly better all needing just minor final tweaks to get it dialed in...

Which then gets me thinking I'm still fighting minor issues beyond the strange grinding noise on mine. I've got a 1/2" spacer on mine already but it's not open. What's the thoughts on me cutting out the center of the spacer to open it up?

Yes, cut it out, easy experiment.
    Regards

Gary

Well, my car got rear ended last sat by someone without insurance... Thanks, 51 years that rear end stayed straight on this mustang but I guess that wasn't good enough... It'll get fixed...

But anyways, I pulled the throttle body spacer and cut out the center so that it's just a large hole and now instead of being a divided dual plane intake it's open between the bottom of the throttle body and the top of the intake. And the difference is AWESOME!!!! I was having issues where initial startup when cold it still acted like a carb. Had to keep the foot hovering over the throttle to keep it running for the first 30-45 seconds. Now it fires right up and idles smooth on first start. I've only got about 18 miles on it so far but coming up to stop lights it doesn't hunt and have issues idling anymore either. Now it rapidly drops to about 1100-1200 rpm and then gently drops down to my 850 idle.

This weekend I'm going to play with adjusting the throttle blades a little bit and watch the IAC and maybe play with the target idle numbers and see if I can actually get the idle down closer to 700.

Also, general driving, seat of the pants it actually feels like it has a little more power.

I was about 90% happy with it... If it continues like this I'll definitely be stoked on how this thing is working out now! I'm not expecting it but this morning I didn't have my stupid grinding noise either that I still haven't video'd yet... Not holding my breath but if that's gone away too I'm going to laugh!

Still running amazing! NIGHT AND DAY difference! If you're running a dual plane and you're having tuning issues... I HIGHLY suggest you swap to a single plane or slap a spacer in there and cut out the center to basically mimic a single plane. It's cleaned up and basically solved all the issues I was having with the final little tuning issues.