Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overall very happy with the Atomic now! But some noises?

Quote Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
    Bump! I'm not sure why this forum honestly exists if nobody from MSD is actually active in it? It happened to me again this morning. I still can't explain it... It's a noise/situation I've never heard from any vehicle I've dealt with in my life.
    I do wonder that myself - way more peer support than MSD support in these forums lately.

Maybe you should try driving with a dash cam for a bit? The only thing I can think of that would even maybe sound like this is the IAC. It looks a fair bit annoying to change, but do-able. I wonder if there's any diagnostic checks you could do for them. Perhaps applying an removing the max voltage would help you hear if the noise sounds like it could be the IAC.

Quote Originally Posted by elucidus View Post
    I do wonder that myself - way more peer support than MSD support in these forums lately.
    Not a bad idea, I've got some bullet cams that we use in our race trucks and could easily mount one. It ONLY happens about a second or so after start up. I've never heard it in ANY other scenario so I could hit record, start the car, if it doesn't happen shut it off and go on my way. Just need to remember to actually hit record each time until I capture it. It happened this morning, I daily drive the car, last time I heard it was like last Thurs or Fri so it's not something that's easy to reproduce unfortunately. It definitely happens when starting with the engine up to temp. I'm not certain but I honestly can't remember it doing it during a cold start now that I think about it...

Stupid thing made the noise again this morning when I stopped at the mini market on my way into work. Lasted a little longer than normal this time. Maybe second and a half...

Crazy we have this forum on the MSD page yet MSD doesn't even bother to monitor it... Even though I'm happy with the system I kind of regret giving them my money at this point. If you're going to offer a service like this at least support it!

I say take a look at the IAC and see if you can find a way to test it. That's the only thing I could think of that would exhibit the symptoms you're seeing. Have you tried calling or emailing MSD directly and possibly pointing them to this thread? I'm curious about their insight here.

aside from the noise the performance is fine?

injector clicking can be heard when my key is turned halfway (accessory i think). when engine running i cant hear anything but exhaust.

i say take throttle body off and look at bottom side. see if butterfly things look like they are mechanically free to move. loom at other things on throttle body that move. look for signs of grinding etc.

and where are all the early members of this forum? probably racking up worry free miles i hope.

watermelon
    Last edited by watermelon; 06-24-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: n/a