Thread: UK sourced coil and ballast for Unilite

Default UK sourced coil and ballast for Unilite

Hi, I have a Mallory Unilite distributor, pt no 3748201, for my street driven SBC engine. Mallory recommends it is used with their coil, pt no 29219, which has a primary resistance of 1.36 ohms. In addition to this is a ballast resistor, pt no 8214, rated at 0.8 ohm, added for reliability on street driven vehicles. I understand this is to prevent damage to the module in the distributor.

Here in the UK the Mallory coil is not readily available so I've looked at other manufacturers. The closest I can find is a coil with a primary resistance of 1.5 Ohms which is also supplied with a 1.5 Ohm ballast resistor. (Link: http://powerspark.co.uk/viper-dry-ig...dlb110-dlb102/ )

Would these work ok with the Unilite or should I try to find a coil and ballast with resistances closer to Mallory's recommendations?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomad56 View Post
    Hi, I have a Mallory Unilite distributor, pt no 3748201, for my street driven SBC engine. Mallory recommends it is used with their coil, pt no 29219, which has a primary resistance of 1.36 ohms. In addition to this is a ballast resistor, pt no 8214, rated at 0.8 ohm, added for reliability on street driven vehicles. I understand this is to prevent damage to the module in the distributor.

Here in the UK the Mallory coil is not readily available so I've looked at other manufacturers. The closest I can find is a coil with a primary resistance of 1.5 Ohms which is also supplied with a 1.5 Ohm ballast resistor. (Link: http://powerspark.co.uk/viper-dry-ig...dlb110-dlb102/ )

Would these work ok with the Unilite or should I try to find a coil and ballast with resistances closer to Mallory's recommendations?

Thanks
    That coil will work. What you would want to look at on your system with that coil is to make sure on the negative side of the coil it is reading between 6 and 9 volts. That is the ideal range of voltage on the negative side of the coil as the Unilite module fires on the negative side so if it see more then 9 volts it can damage that module or if it has less than 6 will will also cause the module to not fire properly and cause it to fail as well. I would also recommend if this is a fresh install to make sure the brown ground wire is going to the engine block, frame, or a battery ground to make sure there is no dirty ground in the system.