Thread: MSD 6013 6 Hemi harness requirements for Jeep Grand Cherokee WH

Default MSD 6013 6 Hemi harness requirements for Jeep Grand Cherokee WH

Hi Forum & MSD Experts.

I have a 05/07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi WH Model and am wanting to upgrade my ignition using a MSD 6013 setup.

What I currently have is a single boot coils setup and am wanting to upgrade this to the dual boot setup. Sounds like a lot of work if I need to change Valve Covers to accommodate the larger coils.

I have already purchased : MSD 6013 6 Hemi Ignition Controller; MSD Ignition Coil Blaster, Coil Pack Style, Square Red, Set Of 8 (82558) & MSD Ignition 88864 6-Hemi Harness.I believe there might be another wiring harness required for EFI setup and a adapter for the tappet covers to accommodate the two boot coil setup?

What will I need to purchase to made this combination work? Or should I stick to a single boot setup and purchase the MSD equivalent coils.

Please give a run down on parts required to get my 5.7 running smoothly and efficiently.

My VIN is : 1J8HD58205Y572567

I have been a Chrysler/Mopar supporter all my life and thought at 60 years of age I had one last Mopar initiative left in me.

Regards and any assistance and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Located in Brisbane Australia.

Hi Nick,

I found your thread after I replied to your email.

I think you should stay with what you have so far, and since it will be staying EFI, you need 88815 adaptor harness.

Far safer to stay with the harnesses listed for your model/year.

Changing to the other coil type would need different valve covers, unless an adaptor is available from another source?

Gary
    Regards

Gary

Hi Nick,

As discussed, I am now asking for a tech moderator's thoughts on how this will operate on an existing OEM EFI engine.

The instructions say no interruption to the OEM wiring, and yet the sensors the EFI needs for injection to function are all disconnected, so the EFI ECM cannot possibly see what it needs for injection to happen.

It looks like a great system to run the engine with a carburetor, and possibly other EFI, just not OEM EFI.

Gary
    Last edited by Gaz64; 05-27-2018 at 12:14 AM.
    Regards

Gary

Well it seems the 88815 does piggyback the 6013 and the EFI ECM towards all the sensors.

Pity MSD doesn't show this on their website, found it on Jegs and Summit.

Gary
    Regards

Gary

Thanks Gary and I hope a moderator will view this thread.

Lets hope they have an answer. Keen to have MSD running on the OEM until I can afford an alternative.

Is it likely that my engine is an earlier build due to the coils being MSD PN:8256 single boot type?. This coil is associated with the ’03-’05 Hemi 5.7.

The compliance tag shows Grand Cherokee WH with a GVM of 05/07. The vehicle was fully imported into Australia and assembled with the earlier motor on the cusp of changeover?

If this is the case, do i need to have the harness MSD PN:88863 and adapter for (factory)EFI MSD PN:88815. I am surmising this information straight from page 66 of the 2015 MSD catalog where it states compatibility with factory EFI.

Regards Confused Nick.

Yes Nick, I think you need the 88863 and 88815 for the early coil type.

Your vehicle must be right on the cusp of changeover.

You can see the confusion this causes when 88815 or 88816 are drawn as what looks a "tach adaptor" on page 4 of the 6013 instructions.

The additional applicable harness should be drawn correctly as necessary on the circuit drawing.

This could be a deal breaker for those with EFI.

Gary
    Regards

Gary

Thanks Gary

You have been of great help so far. I now know that my 2007 Jeep GC 5.7 has an earlier motor and finally I am on the right path.

Let’s hope that I can get something from a moderator soon as I don’t really want to return MSD products unless I have too. Always thought highly of the products but am wavering a little especially when some of these harness’s and adapters that are in their 2015 catalogue can’t be found searching their web site. catalogue states there is a harness PN:88863 but I am unable to search for it on their site. Only the 88864 exists. Not much luck finding Adapter 88815 for factory EFI either. Maybe there is a simple explanation to all of this.

Cheers
    Nick K