Thread: No spark

Default No spark

I bought a new billit 8361 distributor. I have been collecting the parts for awhile to upgrade from the hei setup. I bought the msd digital plus from someone about a year ago. So I installed it today. I can't get spark. I had a blaster 2 coil. I figured maybe it was faulty so I bought the blaster SS and still no spark. I have the heavy black and red wires connected to battery. Orange and black wires on coil. Mag wires connected to distributor and the red wire connected to the power I had on the hei . I tried to get spark with the coil wire and screwdriver. I tried jumping the mag wires together it makes a very quiet noise as I connect them also tried to play with the white wire. I tried connecting the red 12v wire connected directly to battery. Battery had over 12v. The red light on the box turns on and off while I'm playing with the wires. But sometimes stays off and have to turn key on and off and it will come back on. How much does it cost to send it in for repair. Or should I just buy a new 6al

You need to short the mag wires with a paperclip on off quickly to produce enough trigger pulses equivalent to 100 rpm or so.
    Or ground the white wire with a pulsing ground.
    Do you have spark now?
    Gary
    Regards

Gary

I tried using wire on the mag wires together. I can hear the box making a little noise. But no spark. Also tried to ground the white points wire. I tried different ground locations. Not sure what's wrong with it.

Were you pulsing the short across the mag pickup wires?

It needs to be a rapid on/off like the distributor would do.

Have you got the coil lead set up with an airgap to ground?
    Regards

Gary

Yes, I had about half inch airgap.