Thread: MSD 6014 no start issue

Default MSD 6014 no start issue

Hello,

I have installed an LS4 5.3 liter motor from a 2007 Impala SS into my 1981 DeLorean. I am using an Edelbrock carb intake manifold, and an Edelbrock 1406 (600 cfm) carb.

I have installed the MSD 6014 LS ignition controller to run the spark, and it is set to the 'LS1 HO' timing map. I have wired the MSD6014 per instruction:

Red power wire to a dedicated, 30 amp fused switch
    Ground is to cylinder head because the ground cable is too short to reach the battery
    Coil pack harnesses are grounded to cylinder head as well

The problem is that the engine will not start. I have verified 6 PSI fuel pressure at the carb, and that the choke opens. Spark plugs are clean.

While cranking, I hear lots of sputtering coming up through the carb. If I work the throttle while cranking, I'll sometimes get a flame (!!!) coming up out of the carb.

I have checked that the coil pack harnesses are plugged into the correct coil packs. I am not sure where to go from here. Please advise.

Thanks,

-Mike

This turned out to be a bad cam position sensor. I became suspicious of it, so I unplugged it and probed its pins. Strange/ugly resistance numbers. Without the CPS in the mix, the engine starts just about 50% of the time as expected. I'm awaiting a new CPS in the mail, and it should be here in a few days.

Hoping it is just the cam sensor. We have noticed that some sensor do not like our box we recommend getting an OEM replacement Ac Delco brand sensor if at all possible those we have seen the least amount of issues with.

Yeah, sensor was definitely bad. Very strange readings on it between pins. I did get an aftermarket brand sensor, but I will be sure to follow up and let everyone know how it goes with it. If that gives me trouble too, I'll pick up an OEM unit.

Got the BWD branded cam sensor in the mail today, and installed it. It shows the EXACT same issues as the last aftermarket cam sensor I used. Plugged in, lots of spitting/backfiring and no start. Unplugged, engine starts fine (half the time).

Ordered an AC Delco OEM sensor just now.

I'd like to suggest that MSD note in their documentation to only use OEM sensors.

Well, this is disappointing. My OEM AC Delco cam sensor showed up today, and it STILL does the exact same no-start & backfiring that it did with the aftermarket sensors.

What's going on here?

After some digging on other forums, I went ahead and reversed the brown/white and red wires in the cam sensor connector. Works perfectly now. Quite odd.