Thread: MSD Power Grid Erratic

Default MSD Power Grid Erratic

Hello,

Having an issue with my Power Grid. When not under load everything is fine, I can test trans brake and launch RPM and everything is good. However, when I line up, stage and go it fell flat on its face and started bucking like a wild bronco. I let off the gas and do 1/2 throttle and all is well. I took it back to the pits and checked everything and remembered that when I had it on the chassis dyno a month ago it would activate the rev limit way before the actual limit, we found that one of the guys left one of the spark plug wires off and also noticed the coil wire arching across to the body. We fixed all of it and it made a good run. So, I taped up the coil wire and checked all of the other wires to make sure they where connected, and ran it again. This time it staged, and launched great. Then at about the 1000ft mark it started cutting out again, so I backed out of the throttle and it was fine until I tried to get back into it and it would cut out again.

Attached is the data, what is interesting is look at the battery voltage, looks like a seismograph and starts right before the RPM limit kicks in an goes to 0. Also are some zoomed in pictures.

Anyone had this issue before? Any ideas on how to fix it?
    MSD Power Grid Issue alt view.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bumping thread

Where do you have the grounds for the Power Grid going? The low battery voltage it shows maybe in relation to that. We are still looking into it with some different techs but this is my observation right now.

Ground goes to front motor plate on the chassis side and there is a cable that goes from there to the block.

Try as a test running a ground wire from the battery to that ground, as we normally don't recommend using the motor plate as a ground in most applications.

Quote Originally Posted by msdtech20 View Post
    Try as a test running a ground wire from the battery to that ground, as we normally don't recommend using the motor plate as a ground in most applications.
    I ran new 10 AWG leads for both power and ground direct from the battery. I ran the car this weekend and on Saturday it did okay until about 7k RPM and it would act like it was on the chip and the battery voltage would be erratic until I lifted and it would smooth out. As the weekend went on the issue became progressively worse and caused me to be eliminated in Round 1 on both Saturday and Sunday.
    I now have an RMA to return both the controller and box. I hope a new one will fix the issue.

Unless there is something else to suggest and the new does the same thing, I will go back to my 7AL3 as I never had an issue with it.